Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quick, Get The Straightjacket!

In the interest of active blogging and mild exhibitionism, I’m going to throw a bit of a poem at you. It draws a parallel between Shakespearean tragedy (where everyone dies in the end) and life (I think you get the picture here). I strongly encourage criticism, particularly the kind that speaks to how ridiculously emo you think this is. Seriously, it amuses me.

And here we are.


Stage Hand

Of late it has occurred to me
All life is Hamlet
Marriage is no end
But the reaper
(A greedy little twat, he!)
Is all too willing to steal the show
And close the curtains
Lest some squeaky cherub seek its return

Great men have seen this truth
And in it great man drown
But being nothing great myself
It holds me up
As my curious eye scans its depths

This show carries a dark mirth,
Comedy in a newer sense,
Little princes and princesses
All chasing happy endings
Blind to the crashing curtains

A play without tragedy is incomplete
No ends are tied, no questions are answered
The conclusion comes on the headsman’s axe
On the sword and the guillotine,
The plague, the poison
Exposure, famine, war and disaster
These are the real ends

Play on you princes and princesses

I’ll bring a bouquet for curtains

                                                                     Travis T

4 comments:

  1. *glup*

    I doubt you could call that emo at all. It's cynical (what you do best) and very well englished, so it can't possibly emo.

    I don't know why but the Line 'These are the real ends' doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of it. I don't know it's bugging me.

    Well other then that way to show us all up in poetry writing you jerk.

    Wanna Brawl when I get home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna have to agree with Trav and say that it is a little emo, but it is enhanced out of emo-ville and into the land of cynicism through proper use of the English language and a degree of intelligence lacking in most emos. I would recommend a little more effort in the punctuation department - particularily with periods and semi-colons. I particularily love, love, love "Great men have seen this truth / And in it great men drown". So great!
    Critical enough for you? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, noone took the bait! Cynical was what I was going for but I was hoping to draw out an emo comment through power of suggestion. I agree that 'These are the real ends' is a little awkward; it was an issue I'd been trying to work out myself.

    I'm not a big fan of inserting periods into my poems and I'm a bit wary of semicolons. I think excess punctuation distracts from the imagery and add unnecessary structure to the intentionally loose syntax of poetry. Thus I like to use line breaks to establish the reading pattern. Unless I'm going for a rough, disjointed feel I really don't think much punctuation is needed.

    Fantastic comments so far. Also yes, there shall be Brawling Travis. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably late but that made for a good read. Sorry I can't be critical too much out doors time and too much Rosstopher time today has killed my braincells. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete